Adam M. Tomison
Tel: (02) 6260 9200
Fax: (02) 6260 9299
BSc (Hons) (Deakin)
|2009||Director, Australian Institute of Criminology|
|2009||Assoc Professor and Head of Child Protection Program, Menzies School of Health Research (Darwin)|
|2008||Acting Director, Family and Children’s Services (FACS), Northern Territory Department of Health and Families (DHF)|
|2007-2008||Director, FACS Policy and Service Development branch, DHF|
|2006-2007||Deputy Director (Reform), FACS|
|2006-2007||Director, Policy and Research, NT Board of Inquiry into the Protection of Aboriginal Children from Sexual Abuse (‘Little Children are Sacred’)|
|2005-2006||Director, Community Services Policy, DHF|
|2004-2005||Director, Population and Evaluation, Office of Aboriginal Health Family and Social Policy, DHF|
|2004-2006||(Inaugural) Principal Child Protection Advisor DHF|
|2002-2004||Principal Research Fellow, Australian Institute of Family Studies (AIFS); Manager, National Child Protection Clearinghouse; |
Australian Centre for the Study of Sexual Assault;
and Training and Support Team of the Stronger Families Learning Exchange.
|1998-2002||Senior Research Fellow, AIFS|
|1995-1998||Research Fellow, National Child Protection Clearinghouse|
Current areas of specialisation/expertise
- Child abuse prevention
- Crime prevention
- Crime and justice issues for Indigenous communities
- Violent crime
- Evidence-based policy development
- Williams, E. & Tomison, A.M. (2013) Monitoring and evaluating community based interventions for children and families in the Asia-Pacific region. In R.N. Srivastava, R. Seth & J van Niekerk (eds), Child Abuse and Neglect: Challenges and Opportunities (pp.159-172). New Delhi: JayPee.
- Tomison, A.M. and Wolcott, I. (1997). Family Violence. In D. de Vaus and I. Wolcott (Eds.) Australian Family Profiles: Social and Demographic Patterns, (pp.120-127). Melbourne: AIFS.
- Joudo Larsen, J., Payne, J. & Tomison, A.M. (2011). Crimes against international students in Australia: 2005–09. Canberra: AIC.
- Sheehan, G., Carson, R., Fehlberg, B., Hunter, R., Tomison, A., Ip, R. & Dewar, J. (2005). Children's Contact Services: Expectation and Experience. Canberra: Attorney-General's Department.
- Stanley, J., Kovacs, K., Cripps, K. & Tomison, A.M. (2002). Child abuse and family violence in Aboriginal communities- Exploring child sexual abuse in Western Australia, in Gordon, S., Hallahan, K. & Henry, D., Putting the picture together, Inquiry into Response by Government Agencies to Complaints of Family Violence and Child Abuse in Aboriginal Communities (Appendix 13, pp.534-624). Western Australia: Department of Premier and Cabinet.
- Tomison, A.M. (2004). Current issues in child protection policy and practice: Informing the Northern Territory's child protection review. Darwin: NT Department of Health and Community Services.
- Tomison, A.M. (2002). Child protection and child abuse prevention 'down under' - Key trends in policy and practice, in M. Hill, A. Stafford and P. Green Lister (Eds), International Perspectives On Child Protection: Report Of A Seminar Held On 20 March 2002, [Scottish Executive Child Protection Review: Protecting Children Today And Tomorrow]. Glasgow: Scottish Executive. Available online at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/about/CS/UNASS/00015789/pubs_reports.aspx
- Tomison, A.M. & Poole, L. (2000). Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Findings from an Australian Audit of Prevention Programs. Melbourne: AIFS.
- Tomison, A.M. (1997). Overcoming Structural Barriers to the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect: A Discussion paper. Sydney: NSW Child Protection Council.
- Tomison, A.M. (1997). Preventing child abuse and neglect in NSW: Findings from a State Audit. Sydney: NSW Child Protection Council.
- Rowe, E., Akman, T., Smith, R.G. & Tomison, A.M. (2013). Organised crime and public sector corruption: a crime scripts analysis of displacement risks. Trends and issue in crime and criminal justice, no. 444. AIC: Canberra.
- Sheehan, G., Carson, R., Fehlberg, B., Hunter, R., Tomison, A., Ip, R. & Dewar, J. (2007). Divergent expectations and experience: An empirical study of the use children's contact services in Australia. International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family, 21 (3), 275-309
- Kovacs, K. & Tomison, A.M. (2003). An analysis of current Australian program initiatives for children exposed to domestic violence. Australian Journal of Social Issues, 38(4), 513-539.
- Stanley, J., Tomison, A.M. & Pocock, J. (2003). Child abuse and neglect in Australian Indigenous communities, National Child Protection Clearinghouse (NCPCH) Issues Paper no.19, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (2003). Preventing child abuse: Changes to family support in the 21st century, NCPCH Issues paper no. 17. Melbourne: AIFS.
- Tomison, A.M. (2002). Mandatory reporting: A question of theory versus practice. Developing Practice: The Child, Youth and Family Work Journal, 4, 13-17.
- Tomison, A.M. (2001). A history of child protection: Back to the future?, Family Matters, 60, 46-57.
- Tomison, A.M. (2000). Evaluating child abuse prevention programs, NCPCH Issues Paper no.12. Melbourne: AIFS.
- Tomison, A.M. (2000). Exploring family violence: Linking child maltreatment and domestic violence, NCPCH Issues Paper no.13, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (2000). Prevention is better than cure: Exploring strategies for the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Published in the Proceedings of the First ISPCAN Chinese Seminar on the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, (pp.56-69), Xi'an, China, 28 November - 1 December, 1999. [Also translated into Chinese]
- Tomison, A.M. & Wise, S. (1999). Community-based approaches in preventing child maltreatment. NCPCH Issues Paper no. 11, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1998). Targeting 'at risk' families: An evaluation of the Brimbank Family Outreach Service. Family Matters, 51, Spring/Summer, 46-47.
- Tomison, A.M. (1998). Valuing parent education: The cornerstone of child abuse prevention, NCPCH Issues Paper no.10, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. & Tucci, J. (1997). Emotional Abuse: The hidden form of maltreatment, NCPCH Issues Paper no.8, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1996). Child maltreatment and disability, NCPCH Issues Paper no.7, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1996). Intergenerational transmission of maltreatment, NCPCH Issues Paper no.6, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1995). 'Child abuse and other family violence: Findings from a case tracking study', Family Matters, no.41, Winter, 33-38.
- Tomison, A.M. (1995). Spotlight on child neglect, NCPCH Issues Paper no.4. AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1995). Update on child sexual abuse, NCPCH Issues Paper no.5, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison A.M. (2014). Emerging trends in public sector fraud. Invited plenary presentation to the Institute of Internal Auditors Singapore & Civil Service College Singapore ‘Taking the Lead in Effective Governance’ Public Sector Internal Audit Conference 2014, Singapore, 9 April
- Tomison A.M. (2014). Child homicide in Australia. Presented at the Griffith University & AIC’s Homicide: Precursors and Prevention Conference, Brisbane, 24 March.
- Tomison A.M. (2014). Homicide trends in Australia. Presented at the Griffith University & AIC’s Homicide: Precursors and Prevention Conference, Brisbane, 24 March.
Smith, R.G. & Tomison A.M. (2014). Organised crime and public sector corruption: A crime scripts analysis. Presented to the ACT Justice & Community Safety Directorate, Canberra, 20 March
- Tomison A.M. (2014). Occasional address, Graduation Ceremony, Australian Catholic University, Parliament House Canberra, 22 March.
- Tomison A.M. (2013). Youth, crime and juvenile justice: the pathway to crime. Invited presentation to the Informa Out-of-Home Care Summit 2013, Melbourne, 27 June
- Tomison A.M. (2013). ‘Citizen mobilisation and whole of community involvement in developing collective solutions’. Workshop presentation at the Government of New Caledonia’s ‘What shared future for the prevention of delinquency?’ Forum on Regional Safety, Community of the South Pacific, Noumea, 7 June 2013
- Tomison A.M. (2013). Australian Indigenous peoples and the criminal justice system: issues and innovations’. Keynote presentation at the Government of New Caledonia’s ‘What shared future for the prevention of delinquency?’ Forum on Regional Safety, Community of the South Pacific, Noumea, 6 June 2013
- Tomison A.M. (2013). Opening address. Australasian Youth Justice Conference ‘Changing trajectories of offending and reoffending’, Australian Institute of Criminology and Australasian Juvenile Justice Administrators conference, Canberra, 20 May
- Tomison A.M. (2013). The History and Outcomes of Child Abuse Inquiries. Presentation to the Institute of Public Policy (Australian Catholic University) Roundtable: Royal Commissions and Public Inquiries – Australian and International Trends & Issues, ACT Assembly, Canberra, 23 April
- Roylance R. & Tomison A.M. (2012). Multidisciplinary Strategies to Enhance Communication, Coordination and Best Outcomes. Workshop presented at the 19th ISPCAN International Congress on Child Abuse and Neglect ‘Every Child Matters: Promoting Local, National and International Partnerships for Protecting Children’, Istanbul, Turkey, 11 September
- Tomison A.M. (2012). The Australian Institute of Criminology: An Overview. Presentation to the Center of Criminal Law & Criminology and Faculty of Law, Istanbul Üniversites, Istanbul, Turkey, 9 September
- Tomison A.M. (2012). Trends on Youth Criminality and Juvenile Justice. Opening presentation to the National Youth Week 2012: Locked Up and Left Out forum, Institute of Child Protection Studies, Australian Catholic University, Canberra, 18 April
- Tomison A.M. (2012). The impact of research on policy and practice: Examples from the AIC. Invited paper presented at the International Centre for Crime Prevention’s ‘Filling the gaps: Integrated approaches to crime prevention and safety’ 10th Biennial Colloquium, Cape Town, South Africa, February 20-23.
- Tomison, A.M. (2012). Mental health and the Criminal Justice System. Keynote presentation for the Mental Illness: A Challenge for the Justice System conference, Adelaide, 15 February
- Tomison, A.M. (2011). Crimes against international students in Australia. AIC Occasional seminar, Canberra, 26 October.
- Tomison, A.M. & Williams E. (2011). Monitoring and Evaluation of Community based interventions for children. Invited Master Class workshop for the 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, New Delhi India, 6 October.
- Tomison, A.M. (2011). Crimes against international students in Australia, 2005-2009. Keynote address to the Australian New Zealand Society of Criminology (ANZSOC) conference, Geelong, 30 September.
- Tomison, A.M. (2011). Child protection in Australia: Taking the next step. Public lecture. Australian Catholic University, Canberra, 21 September.
- Tomison 2011. Child abuse to the juvenile justice system and the role of alcohol and other drugs. Keynote presentation for Young People Risks and Resilience: The challenges of alcohol, drugs and violence conference, Melbourne, 8 March 2011
- Tomison 2011. Emerging and future trends in organised crime. Presentation to the National Security Senior Executive Development course at the National Security College, ANU, 23 February 2011
- Tomison 2011. Emerging and future trends in organised crime. Invited presentation to the 9th National Security Conference, Sydney 21-22 February 2011.
- Tomison 2010. The Australian Institute of Criminology: Future Directions. Presentation to the Australian Academy of Forensic Sciences, 9 June.
- Tomison 2010. Bushfire arson: Setting the scene. Keynote address presented at 'Collaborating for change: A symposium advancing bushfire arson prevention in Australia', Monash University Conference Centre, Melbourne, 25-26 March.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Preventing child abuse in the Northern Territory: A participant's perspective of recent events. Presentation to Australian Psychological Society (ACT branch), Calvary Hospital, Canberra, 28 July.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Protecting children: Where to from here? Invited National Child Protection Week public lecture, Australian Institute of Family Studies Seminar Series, State Library of Victoria Conference Centre, Melbourne, 10 September.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Child Protection: From Theory to Practice. Lecture to ANU Masters in Public Policy Course students, Crawford School of Economics and Government, ANU, 21 September.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Preventing child abuse in the Northern Territory: Reflecting on a significant reform agenda. Presentation to the Institute of Child Protection, Australian Catholic University, Canberra, 21 October.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Opening Address and Closing Address. 8th ISPCAN Asia Pacific Regional Conference on Child Abuse & Neglect (APCCAN) conference, Perth,15-18 November.
- Chair of the Board, Australian Crime and Violence Prevention Awards
- Advisor, NT Child Deaths Review and Prevention Committee (NT Government)
- Honorary Professor, Australian Catholic University
- Director, Board of Management, International Centre for the Prevention of Crime, Montreal, Canada
- Director, National Board, National Association for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN)
- Member, Advisory Board, Institute of Child Protection Studies, Australian Catholic University
- Member, Australian Academy of Forensic Sciences
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Society of Criminology (ANZSOC)
- Member, Australian Research Alliance for Children & Youth (ARACY)
- Member, Board of Management, National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA), Flinders University, South Australia
- Member, Executive Council, International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (ISPCAN)
- Member, School of Justice Advisory Committee, Queensland University of Technology
- White Ribbon Ambassador, White Ribbon Foundation