Adam M. Tomison
Tel: (02) 6260 9200
Fax: (02) 6260 9201
BSc (Hons) (Deakin)
|2009||Director, Australian Institute of Criminology|
|2009||Assoc Professor and Head of Child Protection Program, Menzies School of Health Research (Darwin)|
|2008||Acting Director, Family and Children’s Services (FACS), Northern Territory Department of Health and Families (DHF)|
|2007-2008||Director, FACS Policy and Service Development branch, DHF|
|2006-2007||Deputy Director (Reform), FACS|
|2006-2007||Director, Policy and Research, NT Board of Inquiry into the Protection of Aboriginal Children from Sexual Abuse (‘Little Children are Sacred’)|
|2005-2006||Director, Community Services Policy, DHF|
|2004-2005||Director, Population and Evaluation, Office of Aboriginal Health Family and Social Policy, DHF|
|2004-2006||(Inaugural) Principal Child Protection Advisor DHF|
|2002-2004||Principal Research Fellow, Australian Institute of Family Studies (AIFS); Manager, National Child Protection Clearinghouse; |
Australian Centre for the Study of Sexual Assault;
and Training and Support Team of the Stronger Families Learning Exchange.
|1998-2002||Senior Research Fellow, AIFS|
|1995-1998||Research Fellow, National Child Protection Clearinghouse|
Current areas of specialisation/expertise
- Child abuse prevention
- Crime prevention
- Crime and justice issues for Indigenous communities
- Violent crime
- Evidence-based policy development
- Williams, E. & Tomison, A.M. (2013) Monitoring and evaluating community based interventions for children and families in the Asia-Pacific region. In R.N. Srivastava, R. Seth & J van Niekerk (eds), Child Abuse and Neglect: Challenges and Opportunities (pp.159-172). New Delhi: JayPee.
- Tomison, A.M. and Wolcott, I. (1997). Family Violence. In D. de Vaus and I. Wolcott (Eds.) Australian Family Profiles: Social and Demographic Patterns, (pp.120-127). Melbourne: AIFS.
- Joudo Larsen, J., Payne, J. & Tomison, A.M. (2011). Crimes against international students in Australia: 2005–09. Canberra: AIC.
- Sheehan, G., Carson, R., Fehlberg, B., Hunter, R., Tomison, A., Ip, R. & Dewar, J. (2005). Children's Contact Services: Expectation and Experience. Canberra: Attorney-General's Department.
- Stanley, J., Kovacs, K., Cripps, K. & Tomison, A.M. (2002). Child abuse and family violence in Aboriginal communities- Exploring child sexual abuse in Western Australia, in Gordon, S., Hallahan, K. & Henry, D., Putting the picture together, Inquiry into Response by Government Agencies to Complaints of Family Violence and Child Abuse in Aboriginal Communities (Appendix 13, pp.534-624). Western Australia: Department of Premier and Cabinet.
- Tomison, A.M. (2004). Current issues in child protection policy and practice: Informing the Northern Territory's child protection review. Darwin: NT Department of Health and Community Services.
- Tomison, A.M. (2002). Child protection and child abuse prevention 'down under' - Key trends in policy and practice, in M. Hill, A. Stafford and P. Green Lister (Eds), International Perspectives On Child Protection: Report Of A Seminar Held On 20 March 2002, [Scottish Executive Child Protection Review: Protecting Children Today And Tomorrow]. Glasgow: Scottish Executive. Available online at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/about/CS/UNASS/00015789/pubs_reports.aspx
- Tomison, A.M. & Poole, L. (2000). Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Findings from an Australian Audit of Prevention Programs. Melbourne: AIFS.
- Tomison, A.M. (1997). Overcoming Structural Barriers to the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect: A Discussion paper. Sydney: NSW Child Protection Council.
- Tomison, A.M. (1997). Preventing child abuse and neglect in NSW: Findings from a State Audit. Sydney: NSW Child Protection Council.
- Sheehan, G., Carson, R., Fehlberg, B., Hunter, R., Tomison, A., Ip, R. & Dewar, J. (2007). Divergent expectations and experience: An empirical study of the use children's contact services in Australia. International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family, 21 (3), 275-309
- Kovacs, K. & Tomison, A.M. (2003). An analysis of current Australian program initiatives for children exposed to domestic violence. Australian Journal of Social Issues, 38(4), 513-539.
- Stanley, J., Tomison, A.M. & Pocock, J. (2003). Child abuse and neglect in Australian Indigenous communities, National Child Protection Clearinghouse (NCPCH) Issues Paper no.19, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (2003). Preventing child abuse: Changes to family support in the 21st century, NCPCH Issues paper no. 17. Melbourne: AIFS.
- Tomison, A.M. (2002). Mandatory reporting: A question of theory versus practice. Developing Practice: The Child, Youth and Family Work Journal, 4, 13-17.
- Tomison, A.M. (2001). A history of child protection: Back to the future?, Family Matters, 60, 46-57.
- Tomison, A.M. (2000). Evaluating child abuse prevention programs, NCPCH Issues Paper no.12. Melbourne: AIFS.
- Tomison, A.M. (2000). Exploring family violence: Linking child maltreatment and domestic violence, NCPCH Issues Paper no.13, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (2000). Prevention is better than cure: Exploring strategies for the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Published in the Proceedings of the First ISPCAN Chinese Seminar on the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, (pp.56-69), Xi'an, China, 28 November - 1 December, 1999. [Also translated into Chinese]
- Tomison, A.M. & Wise, S. (1999). Community-based approaches in preventing child maltreatment. NCPCH Issues Paper no. 11, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1998). Targeting 'at risk' families: An evaluation of the Brimbank Family Outreach Service. Family Matters, 51, Spring/Summer, 46-47.
- Tomison, A.M. (1998). Valuing parent education: The cornerstone of child abuse prevention, NCPCH Issues Paper no.10, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. & Tucci, J. (1997). Emotional Abuse: The hidden form of maltreatment, NCPCH Issues Paper no.8, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1996). Child maltreatment and disability, NCPCH Issues Paper no.7, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1996). Intergenerational transmission of maltreatment, NCPCH Issues Paper no.6, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1995). 'Child abuse and other family violence: Findings from a case tracking study', Family Matters, no.41, Winter, 33-38.
- Tomison, A.M. (1995). Spotlight on child neglect, NCPCH Issues Paper no.4. AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison, A.M. (1995). Update on child sexual abuse, NCPCH Issues Paper no.5, AIFS, Melbourne.
- Tomison A.M. (2012). The impact of research on policy and practice: Examples from the AIC. Invited paper presented at the International Centre for Crime Prevention’s ‘Filling the gaps: Integrated approaches to crime prevention and safety’ 10th Biennial Colloquium, Cape Town, South Africa, February 20-23.
- Tomison, A.M. (2012). Mental health and the Criminal Justice System. Keynote presentation for the Mental Illness: A Challenge for the Justice System conference, Adelaide, 15 February
- Tomison, A.M. (2011). Crimes against international students in Australia. AIC Occasional seminar, Canberra, 26 October.
- Tomison, A.M. & Williams E. (2011). Monitoring and Evaluation of Community based interventions for children. Invited Master Class workshop for the 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, New Delhi India, 6 October.
- Tomison, A.M. (2011). Crimes against international students in Australia, 2005-2009. Keynote address to the Australian New Zealand Society of Criminology (ANZSOC) conference, Geelong, 30 September.
- Tomison, A.M. (2011). Child protection in Australia: Taking the next step. Public lecture. Australian Catholic University, Canberra, 21 September.
- Tomison 2011. Child abuse to the juvenile justice system and the role of alcohol and other drugs. Keynote presentation for Young People Risks and Resilience: The challenges of alcohol, drugs and violence conference, Melbourne, 8 March 2011
- Tomison 2011. Emerging and future trends in organised crime. Presentation to the National Security Senior Executive Development course at the National Security College, ANU, 23 February 2011
- Tomison 2011. Emerging and future trends in organised crime. Invited presentation to the 9th National Security Conference, Sydney 21-22 February 2011.
- Tomison 2010. The Australian Institute of Criminology: Future Directions. Presentation to the Australian Academy of Forensic Sciences, 9 June.
- Tomison 2010. Bushfire arson: Setting the scene. Keynote address presented at 'Collaborating for change: A symposium advancing bushfire arson prevention in Australia', Monash University Conference Centre, Melbourne, 25-26 March.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Preventing child abuse in the Northern Territory: A participant's perspective of recent events. Presentation to Australian Psychological Society (ACT branch), Calvary Hospital, Canberra, 28 July.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Protecting children: Where to from here? Invited National Child Protection Week public lecture, Australian Institute of Family Studies Seminar Series, State Library of Victoria Conference Centre, Melbourne, 10 September.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Child Protection: From Theory to Practice. Lecture to ANU Masters in Public Policy Course students, Crawford School of Economics and Government, ANU, 21 September.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Preventing child abuse in the Northern Territory: Reflecting on a significant reform agenda. Presentation to the Institute of Child Protection, Australian Catholic University, Canberra, 21 October.
- Tomison, A.M. 2009. Opening Address and Closing Address. 8th ISPCAN Asia Pacific Regional Conference on Child Abuse & Neglect (APCCAN) conference, Perth,15-18 November.
- Chair of the Board, Australian Crime and Violence Prevention Awards
- Advisor, NT Child Deaths Review and Prevention Committee (NT Government)
- Honorary Professor, Australian Catholic University
- Director, Board of Management, International Centre for the Prevention of Crime, Montreal, Canada
- Director, National Board, National Association for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN)
- Member, Advisory Board, Institute of Child Protection Studies, Australian Catholic University
- Member, Australian Academy of Forensic Sciences
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Society of Criminology (ANZSOC)
- Member, Australian Research Alliance for Children & Youth (ARACY)
- Member, Board of Management, National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA), Flinders University, South Australia
- Member, Executive Council, International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (ISPCAN)
- Member, School of Justice Advisory Committee, Queensland University of Technology
- White Ribbon Ambassador, White Ribbon Foundation