Media - Briefing room
This website is a rich mine of criminological information and data, and offers journalists access to the latest news, research and recent interviews from Australia's national criminology research and knowledge centre.
If researching a crime story for publication or broadcast, the AIC is a source of both contemporary research and statistics on crime-related issues.
The Facts and Figures series contains the most up-to-date statistics from the ABS and other sources, enhanced with police statistics, and in the area of cybercrime, private sector surveys and data. There is an on-line data tool where user can interrogate a range of data which can reach back two decades.
The AIC regularly publishes books and papers on various aspects of crime. Keep up with the latest releases through RSS feeds or email alerts.
To see what the experts are saying about a range of crimes, visit CriminologyTV on YouTube. There are currently almost 100 presentations by specialists on issues such as consumer fraud, the needs of victims of crime, juvenile justice and deaths in custody, can be viewed online.
For latest news on our research join us on Facebook or Twitter.
Welcome to the AIC Briefing Room.
For interview requests, or for help with publications or background information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the AIC does not comment directly on government policy, current police investigations or individual criminal cases.
The AIC has researchers who can comment on a range of criminology issues such as:
- Crime trends
- Drugs, Alcohol and Violence
- Fraud and white collar crime
- Money laundering and organized crime
- Environmental crime
- Indigenous Justice
- Youth Crime and Diversion
- Child protection and child abuse
- Crime Prevention and trends in crime prevention policy
CrimBrief The Official Blog of the AIC
RECENT MINISTERIAL RELEASES
Fighting fraud against the Commonwealth
31 July 2015
Interim director for the Australian Institute of Criminology
13 July 2015
- Release of 2010–12 homicide monitoring report
5 February 2015
- Counting the cost of crime in Australia
26 November 2014
- 2013 Australian crime: Facts & figures
7 July 2014
RECENT AIC MEDIA RELEASES
- Australia to host the 15th International Symposium of World Victimology
14 June 2015
- Awards for the year’s best Australian crime prevention programs
14 May 2015
- ACCAN 2015 conference to examine child abuse prevention & intervention
24 March 2015
- Homelessness and housing stress among police detainees
12 February 2015
- Property Crime Drop: The Offenders View
11 February 2015
- Study finds residential armed robberies the most violent
10 September 2014
- New review of the effectiveness of Restorative Justice programs
18 February 2014
- Report investigates help-seeking barriers to women trapped in servitude
4 February 2014
- Armed robbery levels decline in 2009-10
15 January 2014
- New report on parental child sex abuse offender profiles
13 January 2014
- AIC Scam Survey now Live on aic.gov.au
9 January 2014
- ID scanners in the night-time economy: Social sorting or social order?
20 December 2013
- AIC report examines corruption risks to public officials
2 December 2013
- New Report into the Methods and Motivations of Australian Human Traffickers
28 November 2013
- New research on gang culture in remote communities
1 July 2013
- 2013 Australian Crime and Violence Prevention Awards
22 April 2013
- Scam calls claiming to be from the AIC
18 April 2013
- AIC’s 2013 scam survey live
9 January 2013