In partnership with the Minister for Home Affairs, the Hon Karen Andrews MP, and state and territory police commissioners, the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) today awarded 12 Australian Crime and Violence Prevention Awards to police and community-led projects across the nation in a virtual ceremony.
The annual awards recognise and reward good practice in the prevention, or reduction, of violence and other types of crime in Australia.
AIC Director, Mr Michael Phelan APM, said the awards play a vital role in highlighting effective community-based initiatives to prevent crime and violence.
“Twelve projects across the country have been recognised for their achievements and positive impacts on their communities,” he said.
“These awards encourage the implementation and sustainability of effective, innovative and efficient crime prevention programs, significantly contributing to stopping crime and making Australia safer.”
Mr Phelan said that although the pandemic kept us apart again this year, the relationships between our governments, law enforcement and community are as strong as ever.
“The Australian Crime and Violence Prevention Awards provide a valuable service to government by identifying practical projects that are reducing harm to the community, and raising community awareness of crime.
“I congratulate the winners of the 2021 awards, and encourage other community and police-led projects across the country to consider nominating their project for recognition in 2022,” he said.
Community-led project winners 2021:
- Gold: Dardi Munwurro’s Ngarra Jarranounith Place (Vic)
- Silver: Crime Stoppers Western Australia’s Bikelinc (WA)
- Silver: Department for Correctional Services South Australia’s Intensive Bail Supervision program for Domestic and Family Violence (SA)
- Silver: Sammy D Foundation’s Don't Let It Be Game Over Violence Prevention Program (SA)
- Bronze: Body Safety Superstars (Vic)
- Bronze: Bravehearts Foundation Limited’s Turning Corners (Qld)
Police-led project winners 2021:
- Gold: Queensland Police Service’s Project Kairos Queensland Gangs Exit Program (Qld)
- Silver: New South Wales Police Force’s Project Walwaay (NSW)
- Silver: Tasmania Police’s Project Vigilance (Tas)
- Bronze: Queensland Police Service’s "I live my life without a knife”, knife crime prevention campaign (Qld)
- Bronze: Victoria Police’s Vehicle Crime Squad – Second-Hand Dealer Inspection and Closure Program (Vic)
- Bronze: Western Australia Police Force’s Tom Price Youth Action Plan (WA)
More information about this year’s award winners can be found on the AIC website: www.aic.gov.au
02 6268 7343